Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Offensive Team Names

Offensive Team Names:
1) After reading this article I have decided that it is a secondary source. The author referred to books written by other people and things they have heard from other people.
2)Facts:
*The NCAA has called an end to using American Indian names for team names
* American Indians aren't the only group that are offended by these names
* There are at least two teams that use the name "Vikings"
* Norwegians may be mocked by opposing teams, mascots are based on Hollywood interpretations of the culture
Opinions:
* "I have never found it offensive that teams use my ancestors names, I feel it to be more of a compliment"
* "If people really hated the Vikings they wouldn't be naming their teams after them"
* "We should replace the American Indian names with white people names"
3)The author of this article is of Norwegian decent. He gave some of his own opinions but it seemed that he was more interested in reporting other people's ideas. I think he would be a decent source to get information from because he used written references.

Team Names Offensive to Native Americans:
1)The author of this article reported a lot of information and opinions about this issue. I think that it is secondary because none of it appears to have been personal experience from him.
2)Facts:
*some people don't mind the use of their names, but to some it is offensive
*"my high school team name was the rebels"
*there are lots of teams named after valiant warriors who lost their battles
Opinions:
*"I wouldn't be offended if I was referred to as brave"
*"This name needs a change"
*"I suggest these changes to make the teams less offensive"
3)I don't think I would classify this author as a credible source. He gave facts about how Native Americans can be offended, but most of his article was just about alternate names and ideas he had.

Indian Psychologists Support Retiring of Offensive Team Mascots:
1)I have found the information in this article to be completely secondary. The author never wrote about personal experiences, but relied on other peoples words to express the issue.
2)Facts:
*The SIP wants sports teams to change their offensive names
*Mascots lead to misinterpretations of Native American cultures
*Dartmouth College and Stanford University are examples of institutions that have dropped their Native American names and mascots
Opinions:
none
3)There is pretty good credibility for this article. The author used a lot of quotes from people and provided a lot of facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment