Monday, October 5, 2009

Moko versus Tattoos

1) I think Maniapoto wanted to make her message clear because most people just see the designs on their faces as tattoos. But to the Maori people they have deeper meanings. They tell stories of their ancestors, their ranks, and their accomplishments. These designs let everyone know who they are. The facts she gave about the moko strengthened her message because it tells exactly why mokos are not tattoos. I think that she was not just directing this message toward those who have tattoos and think that the Maori designs are the same, but to everyone so that we all can know how special the mokos are to her culture.

2) Maniapoto uses mainly facts in her argument. This makes her message much more effective because it firmly tells the truths of mokos. It is'nt just her opinion, it is what her culture believes.

3) I think Moana has some negative attitudes toward globalization. I am sure that she feels that the rest of the world is trying to force their ideas on her and she wants everyone to know that her culture is important too. Her song strongly represents how she feels about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment